Sunday, July 9, 2017

1954 Mercedes Benz W196

The Mercedes-Benz W196 was a Formula One racing car produced by Mercedes-Benz for the 1954 and 1955 F1 seasons. Successor to the W194, in the hands of Juan Manuel Fangio and Stirling Moss it won 9 of 12 races entered and captured the only two world championships in which it competed.

A crash at Le Mans that year ended its short-lived domination and spelled the end for the W196, as Mercedes pulled out of competitive racing in 1955 and did not return for another three decades.
The 2,496.87 cc (152.368 cu in) straight 8 delivered 257 bhp. The W196 was the only F1 car with advanced fuel injection technology.
The W196 was front mid-engined, with its longitudinally mounted engine placed just behind the front axles instead of over them to for better front/rear weight distribution.
A welded aluminum tube spaceframe chassis carried ultra-light Elektron magnesium-alloy bodywork.
At the Bonhams Goodwood sale in 2013 the W196 driven by Juan Manuel Fangio made $29,650,095.